Friends, I have stepped over the threshold into the big four-oh! Yesterday we celebrated and tonight I reflect on what makes a great birthday. Here’s my ingredients :
– being given 40 kisses each by my children and husband when I woke!
– smoked salmon and scrambled egg breakfast
-gorgeous gifts including a new Nikon D3100 (replaces the D60 model which I was going to get). Glee! And the most beautiful commissioned peace of music with voices of my children part of the recording – just too amazing to describe in words. Deep gratitude for my beautiful husband whose idea it was. I will share it here soon…
– a bowl of Japanese food at Wagamamas and then being tourists in our own beloved London – visiting Big Ben, Trafalgar Square and Horseguards Parade to show the kids for the first time (can you believe?)
– being so filled with love by my family, especially my children who kept hugging and kissing me and telling me they loved me. Melted inside, I was….
– cake, candles and Happy Birthday singing in English and Italian!
– the phone kept on ringing from as far as Sri Lanka, Australia and Italy – and my Facebook wall went bonkers with the loveliest reassuring messages of the goodness of the forties – thank you thank you!
– a sneaky surprise gathering of my close friends with food, bubbles, great conversation and laughter into the small hours.
What a birthday! And there is more to come as I am having small celebrations of my 40th instead of one big one…a meal with my beloved tomorrow and an arty party with loads of girlfriends in ten days time (we are going to do glass fusing, vintage brooches and beadwork in the midst of food and drink – yay!).
So, hello forties. The best is yet to come….